“Multiply it by infinity, take it to the depths of forever and you’ll still only have a glimpse of how much I love you.”
“Your limits are somewhere up there, waiting for you to reach beyond infinity.”
Henry H Arnold
“Everything is nothing with a twist.”
“To infinity and beyond!”
Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story
When thinking about what to do for Silver Day artwork this year, my mind was brought back to the time when I used to put an invisible ring onto Taenggu’s finger during the first few months of our relationship in 2015. I once shared the following story on my @lovestorieswithtaenggu instagram later on in 2018.
View this post on Instagram
On 150423, Taenggu was scheduled to attend the Nature Republic Flagship Store Grand Opening in Myeongdong. It had been a long while before she had a solo appearance in public ever since her dating scandal with Baekhyun broke out the year before. I heard some rumours that the anti-fans might turn up at the event and cause trouble (coz some members of EXO were also invited to appear at the same event too). I was so worried for her that I wanted to "be by her side" to give her strength at the event. So when it was about the time of her scheduled appearance, I pretended my bolster was her body (at that time I didn't have my rainbow bunny Bobo yet) and I hugged her waist, kissed her cheeks and even slipped an invisible ring on her ring finger. I remembered asking her, "Are you wearing my ring?/Is my ring on your finger?" 💍 Because I couldn't see the event live when it was taking place, I couldn't see her reactions at all. It was only until I saw new updates and photos of her appearance on instagram that I knew it had already ended so I could stop. In this video, I could see her looking up at the sky for a brief moment a few times. I believed she could hear my voice or the other voices in my head talking to her from above at that time. And I believed she could sense my invisible presence around her too. 😍 . – to be continued tomorrow – . 📽 Video from Cheerful One (youtube) #taeyeon #taenggu #태연 #탱구 #太妍 #泰妍 #泰古 #throwback #150423 #naturerepublic #firstfewmonthsofrelationship #whenmybolsterusedtobetaenggusbody #invisiblering @taeyeon_ss
View this post on Instagram
– continued from yesterday's post – In my yesterday's story, I talked about Taenggu's appearance at Nature Republic Flagship Store Grand Opening in Myeongdong on 150423. To make her feel comfortable appearing in public by herself again after her dating scandal with Baekhyun, I was like an invisible soul standing next to her, hugging her, kissing her and slipping an invisible ring onto her finger. My voice came above her and asked, "Are you wearing my ring/Is my ring on your finger?" . Later on after the event was over, she posted the 2nd photo (swipe left) on her instagram. She looked like she was indirectly proudly showing off that "ring" on her finger which I gave her. ㅋㅋㅋ Her answer to me was "Yes". 😍💍 . – to be continued tomorrow – #taeyeon #taenggu #태연 #탱구 #太妍 #泰妍 #泰古 #throwback #150423 #naturerepublic #invisiblering #lovetoken #invisiblelove
View this post on Instagram
– continued from yesterday's post – After the Natural Republic event, it turned out that she had another event for Louis Quatorze to attend with the two other peeps of Taetiseo later the same day. So she posted another photo on instagram of herself in a different outfit and newly styled hair this time. From her facial expression in this photo, it seemed to me that she wanted me to continue following her and stay by her side at her next event too. But it was difficult for me to do the same this time. The Louis Quatorze one was more of a closed-door event and I wasn't aware of the exact time of their scheduled appearance plus I also couldn't watch the event live so it was impossible for me to know what was going on at real time. I could only watch fancam videos released by fans who were at the event later on if there was any. From this video (swipe left), I could see Taenggu yearning for me to come to her again and kiss her and hold her hand like what I did to her during Natural Republic event earlier on. And you can also hear a mysterious alien voice that sounded like Tiffany calling Taenggu "Pabo" (which means 傻瓜 in chinese) when Taenggu was doing that tongue-lips action while the real Tiffany was talking. Well, Taenggu was indeed like a cute pabo who needed my company by her side all the time during that period of our first few months of relationship! 바보야 💜 . – the end – #taeyeon #taenggu #태연 #탱구 #太妍 #泰妍 #泰古 #throwback #150423 #louisquatorze #staybymyside #pabo #바보
Since then, I had gotten a couple of real rings for her using the money I earned from my internship days and full-time jobs which I already wrote about in SILVER DAY 2017: PUT THE RING ON ME (THE PAPER RING).
As of today, I am still faithfully wearing my very first silver couple ring on my left index finger, despite it already gone out of shape due to continuous years of wearing. Somehow it does give me a feeling of security and protection (and a sense that I belong to someone!) when I have it on my finger, even though honestly it was just a cheapo ring from a random shop kekeke.
So my idea for this year’s Silver Day artwork was to make use of this following suggestive photo that I talked about in my above love story (from Taenggu’s instagram but now deleted) and fill all her 4 fingers with different kinds of rings!
What I did was to print the photo in 4R matte print, similar to what I did for KISS DAY 2020: THE MAGIC OF KISS-MAS TIME but in smaller size due to the smaller frame I would be using. Then using paper art, I placed a ring on each finger to represent past, present, future and infinity respectively.
1. Index Finger – Past (Paper Ring)
A paper ring representing the past signifies the time before graduating from university when I had not started working full-time and thus couldn’t afford a ring for Taenggu. A paper ring is also a visual representation of that invisible ring I used to put onto Taenggu’s finger in the first few months of our relationship.
2. Middle Finger – Present (Diamond Silver Ring)
This diamond silver ring is reflective of the same silver ring that I am currently still wearing since 2015 till present. As I did not have any clear white crystal stud sticker at home, I used a pink one instead to replace that small “diamond” in the centre.
3. Ring Finger – Future (Colourful Bead Ring)
This represents my hope to receive Taenggu’s own handmade bead ring in the future. It began with her recent craze of making bead bracelets ever since she saw and commented on AOA Seolhyun’s post about wanting to try out making similar bead accessories which seem to have become popular in Korea lately.
Since then, she has proudly showed off several bead bracelets that she made herself. All of them are so unbelievably pretty that I’m once again convinced and reminded of how multi-talented and artistically inclined she is! She gave some bracelets to many of her artiste friends and colleagues and is even going to do a giveaway of these bracelets below to 23 lucky fans!
I picked one of my favourite ones below and turned it into a bead ring version for Taenggu’s ring finger on my photo artwork!
Having this colourful bead ring on her ring finger also signifies the possibility of me learning the craft and making a similar bead ring for her in the future too! As for myself, it also indicates that I need no expensive ring on my marriage finger. If everyday I could wear a bead ring handmade by her on any of my fingers in the future, I would already be more than happy enough!
4. Pinky Finger – Infinity (Infinity Wire Ring)
An infinity wire ring on her pinky represents a promise to love her forever. To infinity and beyond!
As per past years’ tradition, besides a main artwork, I would also make a DIY wire ring for Taenggu as a complementary. Since this year’s concept is about infinity, I decided to follow some youtube tutorials to explore making a few different types of infinity wire rings.
However not all infinity wire rings that I attempted were satisfactory. Eventually I tried out the most basic form of infinity ring which turned out quite okay but I felt was a little too simple to be given away and worn as a gift, but would fit on my photo artwork greatly.
Then I had an idea. I experimented with my own style, incorporating the jewellery pearls I had and came up with my own creation that looks kind of similar to those bird nest necklaces I used to do before but is wired a little more neatly in the shape of an infinity symbol, instead of haphazardly like a bird nest. And there you have it, it looks a lot more like something original that I would be able to proudly present to Taenggu one day, kekeke.
Here comes more photos of my framed photo paper artwork and my self-created silver infinity pearls wire ring combined together! 📸
To make it more presentable, I transformed a paper gift box into a DIY jewellery box filled with white pom pom balls to act as a ring cushion and placed my silver infinity pearls wire ring in between.
Dear Miss Taeyeon Kim,
HAPPY SILVER DAY!
Hope you enjoy my little photo paper artwork and creation of the silver infinity pearls wire ring!
I’ve decided that loving you in the past, present and future would not be enough. I would like to make a pinky promise with you with the infinity ring on my pinky finger that I will love you forever to infinity and beyond.
“Will you marry me?” 💍
Handmade with love,
Listen to: “Infinity” by One Direction